Video Interviews - getting them right
17th Mar 2020
How can I prepare for a video interview?
Video interviewing is not a new thing, however in the current climate it is becoming a more common practice.
It would be a good idea to have a think about what a video interview might look like for you and to find out if you have everything that might be necessary in order to undertake one.
Key things to consider:
- Do you have a good internet connection?
- Do the speaker, webcam/camera and microphone on the device you will be using work?
- Have you put your mobile on silent mode?
- Have you closed down all other unnecessary applications on the device you are using?
- Is your device fully charged?
- Are you somewhere that has good lighting?
- Is your chosen location quiet and does not echo?
- Are you likely to interrupted where you are?
- You should try to ensure that your setting is somewhere that is free from clutter and background distractions
- Make sure to dress professionally, this is still an interview
- Do you have a notepad and pen (always check that the other person is happy for you to take notes).
- Make sure to maintain eye contact and other gestures (such as nodding) to show that you are listening.
- Smile and try not to look to nervous/anxious
The important thing to remember is that this is still an interview and you should prepare for it as if you were going to the office.
Further interview hints and tips can be found here: