How to behave whilst you are on placement
13th Dec 2017
What is expected of you during your placement?
Your placement is a professional experience that requires professional attitude and appropriate behaviour.
For the duration of your placement, you are an employee and therefore will be expected to behave like all other employees. Whilst no one will expect you to know everything, it is important that you meet certain expectations. Employers will be looking for you to have a great attitude and show an eagerness to learn.
During your placement, you should try to achieve the following:
• Clarify expectations regarding assigned responsibilities and activities.
• Always try to behave in a positive manner with a can do attitude.
• Meet deadlines.
• Try not to involve yourself with things that don't concern you, steer clear of office politics and gossip.
• Interact professionally with colleagues, customers, and supervisors.
• Follow office policies regarding use of phones, computers, email, etc.
• Dress appropriately
• Do not be late and if you are for any reason then apologise. Make sure you allow yourself ample travel time to avoid delays.
• Meet with the person responsible for managing you on your placement regularly, make sure you are meeting their requirements and communicating with each other effectively.
Most importantly, if you need help ask!