Should I use Linked In as a student?
20th Nov 2017
Have you thought about setting up a LinkedIn account?.
Get yourself ahead of the crowd and set yourself up a LinkedIn account as a student, it’s a great way to build contacts and keep up to date with industry news.
Trying to make yourself stand out in the sea of students trying to find a placement or internship looking for jobs is tricky. Having a LinkedIn account can be a great way to build up contacts while you are still studying.
A LinkedIn profile is your chance to build a positive social media online presence for yourself. A LinkedIn account is your space to share what you are achieving at university, and will continue to be an important tool when you graduate.
LinkedIn Quick tips for students
- Set up your profile account as soon as you can, employers are keen to see your CV evolve.
- Make sure your LinkedIn profile is complete. An incomplete profile can make you appear lazy or unprofessional.
- Make sure you upload a professional picture of yourself. No mirror selfies or silly filters.
- To make the most of LinkedIn, it’s not facebook so don’t just add your friends.
- A student's profile cannot be too broad. We live in an era where it takes more than just a degree to get yourself noticed. Talk about all your projects Display everything you are doing.
- Update your profile regularly, whenever your finish a project or learn a new skill.
- Get to understand which groups are on there that you want to be part of and join them. Start approaching business mentors, people who can help you grow in your career and make contacts.