Why should I consider a placement?
3rd Oct 2017
More and more employers are looking for experience as well as relevant qualifications when recruiting, even at graduate level and as such work placements have a hugely important part to play in your future employability.
Let’s look at some of the benefits of undertaking a placement:
- Most importantly it gives you relevant practical experience in your chosen industry. The best way to learn about your chosen field is hands on experience, it will allow you to put your studies into practice and get a real feel for future.
- It will improve your future job opportunities – more and more employers are looking for practical work experience so even if you only have 3 months summer experience, you are more attractive than someone who has none at all.
- The skills and knowledge you gain during your placement can help you achieve better grades in your studies, a little bit of practical experience can go a long way to helping you understand the academic side.
- You will gain first-hand experience of working in team and strengthening your interpersonal and communication skills.
- It offers you a chance to decide if the sector, type of employer and industry are the right ones for you.
Most importantly, if you do a good job in your placement then there is always the chance that the employer will take you back for further placements, keep you on part time whilst you study or offer you a full-time position once your graduate