Intern Software Engineer - Full Time - Edinburgh - 3/6/12 Months
About the Company
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified below and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
As a new hire, you will have an assigned Mentor and access to excellent opportunities to build your knowledge, skills and experience and progress forward within the team. The team are located in the heart of Edinburgh, just a few minutes’ walk from Haymarket station.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
About the role
We can offer you an unparalleled opportunity to gain in-depth software development knowledge, working alongside a diverse and industry leading team of software engineers, building components to support customer network services and our own network infrastructure, including bring-ups on new emerging prototype hardware.
- Develop embedded software on the Vyatta NOS, which is a modified Debian Linux operating system
- Participate in all stages of software development
- Requirements analysis, architect and high-level design, implementation and testing
- Solve software issues, provide customer and verification support
- Design and develop unit tests and test-automation suites
- Engage with Product Owners and System Architects to evolve software applications adopting new features and technologies without compromising performance
- Influence the software architecture, improve resiliency, debuggability and maintainabilit
What technical experience and/or professional and personal skills are required for this role?
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and programming skills (C, C++, Python)
- Excellent communication and technical documentation skills
- Excellent organization skills to manage time, resources, and priorities
- Familiarity with Linux development environment
- Ideal candidate will have hands-on experience or be familiar with the following:
- Knowledge of network routers/switches or routing protocols (OSPF, BGP, etc.)
- Experience in open-source software development
- Experience with automated test frameworks such as Jenkins
- Experience with design and development tools such as Atlassian (Bitbucket, Confluence, Jira), Eclipse, GDB, etc.
- Independent self-starter and capable of effectively managing priorities to achieve business objectives
- Comfortable in a team environment while still taking accountability and working independently as needed
- Studying af Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Engineering or equivalent degree
Apply online now to start your e-Placement Scotland journey with Ciena Networks