Market Research Intern, 12 weeks, Orkney, June 2017
About the company
The Pier Arts Centre is a gallery and museum based in Stromness, Orkney, home to an important collection of modern and contemporary art. The Centre holds VisitScotland 5 Star status and is an Accredited museum with a Recognised Collection of National Significance to Scotland. We now have an exciting opportunity for a student with outstanding research skills to join our team as a Market Researcher to deliver a 12 week project. You will be responsible for undertaking market research, identifying any gaps in the current provision and developing new products and services.
About the role
The successful candidate will undertake market research in order to analyse our visitor profile and identify opportunities for growth.
The research findings will create the basis of our new marketing strategy.
The preferred start date is 19th June 2017 however this is flexible and depending on the successful candidate’s availability.
For informal enquiries regarding this position please contact Shona Flanagan, Business & Finance Officer, T: 01856 850209, E: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is part-funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Reviewing and analysing existing in-house data
- Researching comparative external data
- Developing customer surveys
- Carrying out visitor surveys - face to face and digitally
- Contributing to the development of a new marketing strategy based on the research finding.
Open to all current HNC, HND and undergraduate degree students who will return to their studies after the summer. All candidates will be considered provided they have the required skills.
- Research skills
- Excellent analytical and interpretative skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Computer literate
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Approachable and friendly attitude
- Commitment to project completion
- Interest in the visual arts
- Previous experience of working with the public
- Knowledge of digital marketing and social media
- Understanding of island social and economic factors
- The student will enjoy staff discounts and free access to events and activities organised by the Centre.
- The student will have a unique opportunity to gain experience and insight from staff, and to work effectively in the context of a creative and cultural organisation.
- Advice on the local accommodation options is available if required.
As part of the ScotGrad Student Placement Programme, you will have access to a tailored graduate business skills training course. ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of students/ graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All students appointed through the programme are encouraged to use the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities, including any relevant networking events and build up a professional network.
Location: Stromness, Orkney
Preferred start date: 19/06/2017
The Pier Arts Centre exists to care for an important collection of 20th and 21st century British art and to promote artistic works, exhibitions and lectures for the purpose of the education and enjoyment of the general public.
The Centre presents a year round programme of contemporary and museum based art exhibitions as well as related events including talks, workshops, lectures and readings. These are presented within the gallery’s building and throughout Orkney.
The Pier Arts Centre addresses two distinct complementary aims i) as an Accredited Museum with a nationally significant ‘Recognised Collection’ of art and ii) as a dedicated space for the promotion of contemporary visual art. This dual responsibility offers the Centre an important opportunity to work with a broad range of cultural agencies at local, regional and national levels. The Centre’s activities respond to the needs of a wide variety of users and audiences and contribute to the social, economic and cultural wealth and wellbeing of Orkney and Scotland.
Company sector: Creative Industries
Company website: www.pierartscentre.com
How to apply
To apply for this position, please click "Apply here" below where you will be redirected to the Scotgrad website. All applications and feedback willbe handledd by Scotgrad - Please note that we cannot provide feedback on individual applications for this role: