What is expected of you during your placement?
Your placement is a professional experience that requires professional attitudes and appropriate behaviour. For the duration of your placement, you are an employee and therefore will be expected to behave like all other employees. Whilst no one will expect you to know everything, it is important that you meet certain expectations. Employers are looking for you to have a great attitude and an eagerness to learn. During your placement, you should try to achieve the following:
- Clarify expectations regarding assigned responsibilities and activities.
- Demonstrate a positive, enthusiastic attitude.
- Meet deadlines.
- Avoid office politics and gossip.
- Interact professionally with colleagues, customers, and supervisors.
- Follow office policies regarding use of phones, computers, email, etc.
- Dress appropriately as clarified by supervisors
- Exercise wise time management skills. Do not be late and if you are for any reason then apologies. Make sure you allow yourself ample travel time to avoid delays.
- Consult regularly with your internship supervisor and/or academic advisor about your internship experience. It’s also important to note that being over-eager is simply obnoxious. It’s good practice to do as much as you can and have a list of questions ready when you check in. Communicate your progress and follow instructions.
- Ask for assistance and advice as needed.