Summer Placement Software Engineer - Summer 2022 - Full Time - Edinburgh
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo’s Summer Placement Programme offers you a paid opportunity to develop your current skillset in an innovative and practical environment that can lead to a place on our award winning Graduate Development programme.
Leonardo in Edinburgh is an international leader in airborne radar, laser and infra-red countermeasure systems. You can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals who are passionate about their work of designing and developing cutting edge technology for a worldwide market.
The 13 week Summer Industrial Placement Programme
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increase your technical skills but give you the opportunity to work on meaningful real life projects alongside experienced engineers and graduates across our business. You will receive coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and work in multidisciplinary teams to gain as much experience across the product lifecycle from your time in industry, as possible. Our ultimate aim is to see you through your undergrad years and hopefully offer you a place on our 2 year Graduate Development programme at an appropriate time.
Summer Placement Software Engineer Job Description
An exciting and challenging Software Engineering opportunity for students currently studying a science based degree e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering (BSc (Hon) / BEng (Hon) / MEng) to have the opportunity to experience a 13 week paid industrial placement working as a Software Engineer within Leonardo.
Come and join one of our multi-disciplinary integrated project teams (IPT) in Edinburgh and contribute to the solving of real-life engineering problems on state-of-the-art avionics sensor systems such as: the radar for the Typhoon fighter jet; the radar for the SAAB Gripen fighter; one of our family of Surveillance AESA Radars (Active Electronically Scanned Array); an IRCM (Infra–Red Counter Measures) system; or perhaps on one of our laser target designator or laser ranging systems.
You will report to an experienced engineer who will provide day to day guidance and on-the-job training. You will be introduced to the software development processes and utilise state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools. You will also gain experience on one or more aspects of the software development lifecycle, which could include: applied research, requirements analysis, design, implementation, integration, and test.
Particular emphasis will be placed on learning practical skills that may not be easily gained or experienced in the academic environment of a university.
You should demonstrate an interest in Software Engineering in the area of real time development for avionic systems.
What you will do
- To learn the skills required for software development. This could include developing practical skills in design techniques for aerospace applications, understanding of key processes and technologies, developing software using state-of-the-art modelling tools, compilers and test environments.
- To deliver technical reports and presentations on your work assignments to your supervisor and fellow placement students.
- Most training will be delivered via on-the-job experience working in real software teams within project groups delivering sensor systems to our customers. Additional formal technical training to augment the on-the-job training may be provided via taught courses depending on the business needs.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive salary
- 8.5 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free gym membership
- The opportunity to gain priceless industrial experience on real life projects
- The opportunity to mix with our current graduate cohort and to get to know if we are what you are looking for your long term career.
What we are looking for
- Candidates are expected to be in further education in a related course and have an appropriate gap in studies.
- Ideally candidates for a software placement should have some experience of computer programming and be enthusiastic and passionate about designing software and writing code.
- Experience of an object-oriented programming language such as C++ and knowledge of UML (Unified Modelling Language) is an advantage but not essential.
- A full statement of courses and projects studied at university and corresponding grades/marks/percentage should be included in your CV.
- Applications are also welcomed from candidates who have completed a first degree and are looking to gain industrial experience prior to commencing a relevant higher degree (i.e. PhD, MSc).
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance.
What can I expect from my working environment?
You will be working within world class facilities regardless of which site you are based. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both.