Research Assistant, Caithness, 12 weeks, Summer 2017
Mackays Hotel, based in Wick on the North Coast 500 route, has an excellent 12 week Market Research placement opportunity. We are looking for a student with knowledge of marketing and/or international trade who has great research skills to join our team and assist us in attracting international visitors to Mackays.
The successful candidate will assist with carrying out marketing research in to identified international markets and work with other organisations/ agencies to identify the best approach for Mackay’s hotel to adopt. Findings will form the basis of a plan to target these markets.
The preferred start date is 5th of June 2017 however this is flexible and depending on the successful candidate’s availability.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
To carry out market research and form a plan to attract international visitors and extend the tourism season
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Carrying out market research into identified markets using the information provided;
- Making contact with the public relations personnel within tourism organisations i.e. Visit Scotland, Visit Britain;
- Carrying out research into UK based tour operators;
- Identifying contacts to be made at London trade shows;
- Completing a draft plan of recommendations for targeting international markets.
Open to all current HNC, HND and undergraduate degree students who will return to their studies after the summer. Qualifications related to marketing and/or international trade would be preferred, however other candidates will be considered provided they have the required skills.
Skills / Experience
- Knowledge of marketing and/or international trade
- Good research skills
- Analytical and interpretative skills
- Commitment to complete project
- Good interpersonal skills, at all levels
- IT literate including MS Office skills
- Project Management skills
- Good communication skills
- Can do attitude
- Understanding of tourism sector
- Be able to take ownership and responsibility
- Understanding of working environment
- Company benefits
- Practical hands-on experience in marketing
- Subsidised accommodation
- Complementary access to local gym
- Lunch supplied by hotel
- Access to social media training through local Chamber.
As part of the ScotGrad Student Placement Programme, you will have access to a tailored graduate business skills training course. ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of students/ graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All students appointed through the programme are encouraged to use the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities, including any relevant networking events and build up a professional network.
Location: Wick, Caithness
Preferred start date: 05/06/2017
Mackays Hotel has been in the Lamont family for over 60 years, each generation holding the same family values and keeping these at the heart of the business. The current owners are Murray and Ellie Lamont who have run the hotel for 32 years along with Jennifer, their daughter, who joined in May 2013.
Mackays is dedicated to delivering a uniquely warm Highland welcome and experience to our guests who enjoy comfortable rooms which have been lovingly furnished to capture the gentility of a Highland hideaway. In addition to the hotel we have apartments and townhouses providing guests with extra space for longer visits. Guests can also relax in our Bistro and Cocktail Bar.
How to apply
Please note that all applications for this role are handled externally by ScotGrad. You must apply via the "Apply here" link below to be considered for this position: