Industrial Software Engineer Placement - 6 - 12 Months
Leonardo – Engineering the future
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Industrial Placement Software Engineer
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented individuals who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
The 6 month – 1 year Industrial Placement Programme
We have created a programme across our UK site that not only increases your technical skills but gives you the opportunity to work on meaningful real life projects alongside experienced engineers and graduates across our business. You will receive coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and work in multidisciplinary teams to gain as much experience across the product lifecycle from your time in industry, as possible.
Our ultimate aim is to see you through your undergraduate years and hopefully offer you a place on our 2 year Graduate Development programme at an appropriate time. At Leonardo, we have some of the Industry’s most sophisticated technology at our fingertips, and we rely on having the very best employees to maintain our competitive edge.
Industrial Placement Software Engineer Job Description
Come and join one of our multi-disciplinary integrated project teams (IPT) in Edinburgh and contribute to the solving of real-life engineering problems on state-of-the-art avionics sensor systems such as: the radar for the Typhoon fighter jet; the radar for the SAAB Gripen fighter; one of our family of Surveillance AESA Radars (Active Electronically Scanned Array); an IRCM (Infra–Red Counter Measures) system; or perhaps on one of our laser target designator or laser ranging systems.
You will report to an experienced engineer who will provide day to day guidance and on-the-job training. You will be introduced to the software development processes and utilise state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools. You will also gain experience on one or more aspects of the software development lifecycle, which could include: applied research, requirements analysis, design, implementation, integration, and test. Particular emphasis will be placed on learning practical skills that may not be easily gained or experienced in the academic environment of a university. You should demonstrate an interest in Software Engineering in the area of real time development for avionic systems.
Key Responsibility Areas
- To learn the skills required for software development. This could include developing practical skills in design techniques for aerospace applications, understanding of key processes and technologies, developing software using state-of-the-art modelling tools, compilers and test environments.
- As a software engineer you are responsible for creating high quality and robust code, for fully documenting and recording your work products, keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and reports on progress to your supervisor.
- You will deliver technical reports and presentations on your work assignments to your supervisor and fellow placement students and be given assistance to deliver plans and reports to the required academic standard of your university.
- Your task may involve working closely with Systems engineers and Hardware engineers to solve real integration problems on a complex system.
- Most training will be delivered via on-the-job experience working in real software teams within project groups delivering sensor systems to our customers. Additional formal technical training to augment the on-the-job training may be provided via taught courses depending on the business needs.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- An exciting and challenging Software Engineering opportunity for students currently studying a science based degree e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering (BSc (Hon) / BEng (Hon) / MEng) to have the opportunity to experience a 6 to 12 month paid industrial placement working as a Software Engineer within Leonardo.
- Candidates are expected to be in further education in a related course and have an appropriate gap in studies.
- Ideally candidates for a software placement should have some experience of computer programming and be enthusiastic and passionate about designing software and writing code.
Experience of an object-oriented programming language such as C++ and knowledge of UML (Unified Modelling Language) is an advantage but not essential.
- Applications are also welcomed from candidates who have completed a first degree and are looking to gain industrial experience prior to commencing a relevant higher degree (i.e. PhD, MSc).
- Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as “SC”) for our business.
Our Assessment dates run from November 2019 to April 2020 and roles WILL be closed once offered.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.