Industrial Placement Programme – 6-12 Months – Edinburgh
About the Company
Leonardo, a Finmeccanica company, is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. From the design, development and production of state-of-the-art equipment, software and systems to through life support, Leonardo partners with its customers to deliver the information superiority required to act decisively, complete missions and maintain security and protection for operational effectiveness.
About the role
The 6 month – 1 year Industrial Placement Programme
Our Industrial Placement Programme is designed to offer you the opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills you require to become an engineering or business professional of the future. On our programme you will engage with challenging and exciting project work, and deliver innovative business or technical solutions as part of a team of subject matter experts. Throughout the programme you will receive coaching and support from your team to achieve your objectives as well as your personal development goals. You will gain a wide array of experience on your placement that you can apply to your academic studies and future career.
At Leonardo we value individuals who continuously demonstrate a dedication to their personal development, and successful completion of an Industrial Placement with Leonardo can lead to an offer on our Graduate Development Programme. We are looking for highly motivated individuals who are willing to take on a challenge to fill our industrial placement roles, and we will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges. If you are willing able to commit to giving your best performance, you will find Leonardo a very rewarding place to work!
How this role fits in
Come and join one of our multi-disciplinary integrated project teams (IPT) in Edinburgh and contribute to the solving of real-life engineering problems on state-of-the-art avionics sensor systems such as: the radar for the Typhoon fighter jet; the radar for the SAAB Gripen fighter; one of our family of Surveillance AESA Radars (Active Electronically Scanned Array); an IRCM (Infra–Red Counter Measures) system; or perhaps on one of our laser target designator or laser ranging systems.
You will report to an experienced engineer who will provide day to day guidance and on-the-job training. You will be introduced to the software development processes and utilise state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools. You will also gain experience on one or more aspects of the software development lifecycle, which could include: applied research, requirements analysis, design, implementation, integration, and test.
Particular emphasis will be placed on learning practical skills that may not be easily gained or experienced in the academic environment of a university.
Key Responsibility Areas
- To learn the skills required for software development. This could include developing practical skills in design techniques for aerospace applications, understanding of key processes and technologies, developing software using state-of-the-art modelling tools, compilers and test environments.
- As a software engineer you are responsible for creating high quality and robust code, for fully documenting and recording your work products, keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and reports on progress to your supervisor.
- You will deliver technical reports and presentations on your work assignments to your supervisor and fellow placement students and be given assistance to deliver plans and reports to the required academic standard of your university.
- Your task may involve working closely with Software, Systems, Firmware and Electronics Engineers to solve real integration problems on a complex system.
How will we support you?
- Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary & relocation allowance (subject to eligibility)
- Generous holiday entitlement and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare options
- Employee discounts with selected suppliers (including gym membership)
- Discounted coffee bar & restaurants at each site
- Free on-site parking
To find out about all of our Company benefits please visit:
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
Nationality and Security Clearance
Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as “SC”) for our business, but may need to be to a higher level for this particular role due to the nature of the projects and or programmes that the role will be supporting
All of our Industrial Placement roles require a minimum of a predicted 2:1 grade in a relevant degree discipline e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering.
Experience of agile development, programming in an object-oriented language such as C++ and knowledge of UML (Unified Modelling Language) is an advantage but not essential.
When applying on HireVue please select Grad/IP STEM
What are you waiting for?
Leonardo is one of the biggest suppliers of defence equipment to the UK MoD, come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around!
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment.